Oh my goodness! We can't stop eating pumpkin chili. I've already made two batches in the last week. Now that the temps have dropped a bit, it's finally feeling like fall, and we are all about the cozy, comfort foods. We love chili at our house, and this pumpkin version is so good. SO GOOD.
It doesn't take long at all to make and it's so delicious. It's the perfect fall meal. My carnivore hubby even loves it and feels it's hearty enough. :) It's really flavorful, and not too spicy. We're in love.
Approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 bell peppers, chopped (I use a red and yellow for color, but any color is fine)
1 onion, chopped
2 cups of vegetable broth
2, 15oz cans of beans (Target sells a mixed bean with black, pinto and kidney that I usually use. If I don't have this I'll do one black bean, one pinto.) You'll want these rinsed and drained.
1, 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
1, 15oz can of pumpkin purée
2 tablespoons of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
2 teaspoons of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1. In a medium pan, sauté onion with olive oil. Once onion is translucent, add the bell peppers. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
2. In a large pot, combine vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes and spices. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add the pepper and onion mixture to the large pot. Mix again and bring everything to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer (covered) for approximately 30 minutes.
5. Salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
I love to serve it with fresh pumpkin seeds. I make mine with olive oil and sea salt. We also love it topped with avocado, but it's delicious on it's own too.
I hope you love it as much as we do. We seriously can't get enough! xo